Pastor Armstrong's sermon is based on Luke 13:22-30.
Following Christ is a Struggle, not a Stroll (Luke 13:22-30)
I. Jesus will not encourage speculation about __________ (Matthew 7:1-5; Luke 13:1-5; John 21:20-22)
A. This avoids repentance and does not lead to faith.
B. He directs your attention to _____________. Why?
II. The narrow door demands _____________ you have.
A. “’Make every effort’ (agonizesthe) to enter through the narrow door “(v.24).
B. Agonizomai (vb.), agonia (n.): terms used in significant contests (athletics and war).
1. “Fight (agonizou) the good fight (agona) of faith” (1 Timothy 6:12).
2. “Let us run with endurance the race (agona) marked out for us” (Hebrews 12:2).
3. “And being in an agony (agonia) He prayed more earnestly” (Luke 22:44).
III. The Lord provides _______________ you need.
A. “For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live” (Romans 8:13).
1. This struggle = _______________ , which is itself a gift of God (Acts 5:31; 11:18; 2 Timothy 2:25).
2. This struggle ____________ from who you already are in Christ (Romans 8:13; Hebrews 12:2-3). It is the ____________of your salvation, not the cause.
B. Your _______________ life is a journey through the narrow door (v.24).
IV. Athleticism redefined.