Grace Lutheran Church cam into being as a result of the mission mindedness of Pt. Peter's Rev. A.E. Brauer and the Rev. Roy F. Guelzow. They were aware of the rapid growth of the community and the need for the church to expand and grow with it.
In July of 1954, a group of five volunteered to study the needs and determine the interest in forming a new congregation near the edge of Columbus.
During September of 1956, the new congregation purchased 5 acres at Central and Simms Drive. The first unit of the church was designed to serve the needsof the growing congregation. In 1963 a building committee was apointed to plan additional facilities, including the first sanctuary. The beautiful new sanctuary together with the east educational building and connecting narthex were dedicated in 1966.
As we enjoy our 60+ years of ministry, we have embarked on a new round of renovation and improvement with the Restoring God's House program. Over five years roof, windows, entrance, landscaping and more are being reimagined for the congregations to come.
The former pastors of Grace Lutheran Church are Rev. Robert Trautman, Rev. Stafford Eynon, Rev. Eugene Rehwinkle, Rev. Alfred Leuhmann, Rev. Fredrick Finke, and Rev. Thomas Going.
A call was extended to accepted by Rev. John Armstrong who was installed on November 2, 1997. He continues to lead the congregation in Word and Sacrament ministry and a focus on reaching out to those in need of the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ, our risen Savior.
From twenty-nine families to now over one hundred and fifty Christian families committed to growth in Christ, and service to God and neighbor both here in Columbus and throuout the world.
The first altar at Grace.
The model of the "new" santuary circa 1964. The beginning of a $306,000 building program in the northern outreaches of Columbus.
The first worship service in the new snctuary was conduced Easter, April 10, 1966 and dedicated May 15. "A tall tent-like space, achieves an intimacy of worship around Word and Sacrament, almost in the round."
The Scrfitto is based on the Christ monogram IC XC which means Jesus Christ, Savior. You can see symbols for the Trinity and the "Means of Grace" in the Chalice and Water motifs. The organ was added later.